Many women can have a yeast infection, also known as Candidiasis, during their pregnancy. There are many reasons that a woman develops a yeast infection during pregnancy time but the most common one is from hormonal changes that her body is going through.
Yeast Infection During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a wonderful but anxious time for a woman to experience and when something as bothersome as a yeast infection begins, the anxiety can escalate. Knowing and understanding what and why you have a yeast infection is your best defense against one. Yeast is very common in the vagina area in low numbers along with certain types of bacteria, which actually control the yeast. When a woman becomes pregnant, her hormones begin to change, her estrogen levels spike causing an imbalance in their system, this imbalance causes the yeast to grow quickly, and yeast infection symptomsbegin. Symptoms can form as vaginal itching, redness, swelling, discharge that is thick and white, and odor. The severity depends on the level that the yeast infection is at, it may be mild or intense, but regardless it needs to be treated as soon as possible.
Treatment of Yeast Infection During Pregnancy
During pregnancy, a typical oral treatment for yeast infections is not possible. Vaginal creams or suppositories may be used, but only after a confirmation from your physician. Because of adverse side effects that may cause harm to the mother or baby, consulting with your physician is vitally important before taking or using any type of medication.
Understanding yeast infections during pregnancy can help you deal with one. Speaking to your doctor at your check-ups can help you be prepared in case you develop a yeast infection. There are no wrong questions when it comes to your pregnancy or your health, and your physician will tell you they have heard it all you cannot surprise them in anyway.
What to avoid when having a Yeast Infection During Pregnancy
Before you develop a yeast infection, you may want to find out just what you can avoid to help you not get a yeast infection during your pregnancy.
- Wear cotton underwear or underwear with a cotton insert
- Try not to wear your jeans or shorts to tight that would cause extra heat and sweating to occur that would keep the area moist
- Try not to wear synthetic or spandex materials because they can hold in the heat & moisture to the vaginal area
- Avoid sitting around in wet undergarments
- Try to stay clean and dry in the vaginal area at all times
- Eat plenty of yogurt , the cultured bacteria can support the good bacteria in the vagina
- Do not use perfumed soaps or other personal care products that have additives in them: bubble baths, sprays and deodorants that upset the acidic balance in the body
- Try to eat regular balanced healthy meals to keep your immune system strong
A yeast infection during pregnancy is annoying but it can also give the infection to the baby as it is being born. If you suspect you may have a yeast infection see your doctor right away and ask that your spouse be checked so that he does not give if back to you after you are cured. Do not worry! A yeast infection during pregnancy is common but curable!
Yeast Infection During Pregnancy – Summary
While yeast infection during pregnancy is quite common, it is not difficult to avoid it. With the right diet, proper hygiene, advice from your doctor and correct daily practices, one should be able to avoid yeast infection.
Article: Yeast Infection During Pregnancy
Take me back to Yeast Infection start page